We’ve talked about major mistakes agents are making with their newsletters (and how to fix them) recently here on Agent Inner Circle, and we’ve also talked about how to get a stellar testimonial to use in your business. Well, we’re following our own advice – and would like to welcome REALTOR, Broker, and Coach/Trainer Neil Mathweg as our guest author today. He’s a longtime user and strong supporter of our newsletter, Service For Life! Let’s see how Neil used a newsletter to increase his bottom line.
Since 2007, every year, I have added between 30-60 transactions, simply by consistently sending a monthly newsletter. So, I know first hand that this service positively impacts an agent’s bottom line, especially coming from someone who teaches agents to challenge the status quo, be different, and attract business instead of chasing business.
As an agent, I would consider myself forward-thinking, advanced in my ways, and even a pioneer in ways to generate leads and build a successful business. I mean I, did start a podcast called Onion Juice Podcast for real estate agents to challenge the status quo and help them become media companies that happen to sell real estate.
So with all this non-traditional forward thinking; why would I still be a raving fan of a newsletter? I mean, come on, newsletters are old-school. Mail is dead. This is what you hear, right? Well, I don’t think it can be further from the truth.
I not only built my business using newsletters, but have maintained a 10-20% return year after year. Meaning if I have 300 in my database, I would do 30-60 transactions a year from the people in my database or new clients that people in my database referred me to.
Let’s back up though. I started mailing newsletters in 2003.
My first issues were called Mathweg Minute – “it only takes a minute to read!” (Pretty cute, hey?) I mailed that for three straight years and in 2005-06 when my business was booming and quite frankly out of control, I found myself missing weeks. Consistency was missing (huge mistake). I realized after 2006 I had only mailed 7 of 12 newsletters that year. I missed 5! It was so hard to keep writing when I was so busy. That is when I found Service for Life! and joined the other agents who have used it to build their business over the past 2 decads. And guess what, I have been using it ever since.
Not only did it help me stay consistent but it also gave me a better return. A few things I found that worked the best was:
- The look – a lot of people cringe when they see it. It looks homemade, like something I put together in my office. Well, that is exactly why it works. A perfect, shiny, glossy, newsletter tells the reader that you bought it and slapped your name on it. I get one of those from my financial advisor every month. I know he didn’t do anything to put it together. With SFL looking homemade, my readers assume I built it myself. Also, I always say, “people can’t relate to your perfection”. With the newsletter not looking perfect, my readers can relate to me and the newsletter more.
- Client appreciation – This is a section of your newsletter where you personally name people who referred you within in the last month. These brings more referrals. People love to see their name in print!
- Power of mail – It has taught me the power of mail. Email is so noisy. My inbox is always full- probably just like yours. Google actually now separates my email, so 99% of newsletters sent to me end up in my promotional tab and I don’t even see it. However, I see every piece of mail. So does my wife (who doesn’t see any of my emails).
- Content – I also love that most of the content is not about real estate. Over my 15 years of being a REALTOR® I have learned that most people don’t care about real estate as much as we do. I love that there is just real estate sprinkled in throughout the newsletter but it doesn’t overdo it.
- The call-to-actions and special reports that come with the newsletter.
- Sponsorship – With so much space in the newsletter I am able to leave room for sponsorship. This helps cover my cost and give other local business a space to advertise. It’s become a win-win.
What I’ve also learned over the years is that newsletters works so well with other strategies. I created a program called RoundBox, where I coach real estate agents. I have created a three pillar process, which the first pillar is using your Service For Life! The second pillar is what you are going to do chase business, and third is – what you are going to do to attract business?
These strategies create a well-rounded plan that sets you up for strong growth while protecting you against burnout.
Once you have a clear plan, then it’s all about staying consistent. This is what was missing from my plan until I found Service For Life!
I believe that most agent have what I call “Shiny Object Syndrome” They try one thing one month, then they see something another agent is doing and they stop what they are doing and they go try something else. Or they add something to their plate and slowly fade away from doing things with excellence. Instead they just need to stay the course. I often say, “if you want to ruin a man’s vision, give him two.” It’s crucial to stay the course.
Want more information about Service For Life! ? Just click this link. You can read some of our testimonials and watch videos of agents who’ve been successful with the system. You can also download the free report from our home page, and attend a webinar that gives you all the background about why this powerful system works, and the 14 direct-response elements in every issue.